Some interesting notes about our experience:
- Solr is not a turn-key solution; it's a search engine for a solution you create.
- Doing the tutorial was critical to understanding Solr.
- XSLT worked great for rendering Solr's XML results.
- Some helpful documentation sources we found:
o Apache Solr (tutorial and presentations);
o Lucid Imagination (lucidworks ref guide); and
o w3schools.com (xslt tutorial).
- Solr is lightning fast.
- Solr is packed with enterprise features. However, like most open source tools, you must have an adventurous spirit to realize them.
- Jetty makes deploying web / app servers simple. Launching the Solr example app was literally a one-liner. Incredible.
20 Jan 2012 Update - Posted the detailed 'how-to' for indexing office documents with Solr (source code and all). Enjoy.